In Brief

CIMBio Hosts Open House
All TSRI employees (and scientific neighbors) are invited to the Center for Integrative Molecular Biosciences (CIMBio) open house on Wednesday, April 10, 11 AM to 3 PM. CIMBio is located in the CarrAmerica B Building, 3215 Merryfield Row, on the East campus. The open house will provide the opportunity for self-guided tours of the facility and discussions with scientific staff. Refreshments will be provided.

Save for Retirement

TSRI's Tax Sheltered Annuity Program enables eligible employees to save pre-tax dollars for retirement, reduce their taxable income, and avoid some of the fees normally associated with after-tax investing. The value the account compounds over time and can have a significant impact on life-style in the retirement years. The plan can be rolled over into an Individual Retirement Account (IRA) or another qualified employer plan. To find out more about TSRI's Tax Sheltered Annuity Program, contact Benefits Administration at x4-8487 or email

Put Money Away for College

Funding a college education may seem overwhelming, but with some careful planning and commitment it is a goal that can be achieved. The Golden State ScholarShare College Savings Trust (529 plan), administered by TIAA-CREF, enables eligible employees to deduct contributions automatically from their paychecks. While contributions are made on an after-tax basis, earnings grow tax-deferred. Withdrawals for qualified expenses are federally tax-free and California income taxes, taxed at the student beneficiary's rate, are deferred until funds are distributed. To enroll or obtain more information on this program, contact Benefits Administration at x4-8487 or email

Last Chance to Submit 2001 FSA Claims

If you participated in the Healthcare Spending Account (HCSA) during the 2001 plan year, Benefits Administration would like to remind you that March 31, 2002, is the deadline for submitting reimbursement claims to EBS.

All claims for services rendered during 2001 should be sent to EBS for reimbursement. Do not send claims for 2001 to Barney & Barney, as this will delay your reimbursement. EBS claim forms are available in the Human Resources Department. You can pick up forms between 8 AM and 5 PM or request them by contacting Benefits Administration at x4-8487 or email

Effective January 1, 2002, Barney & Barney is processing claims for services rendered in the 2002 plan year. Reimbursement forms for the 2002 Health Care Spending Account and Dependent Care Spending Account administered by Barney & Barney are also available in the Human Resources Department. In addition, you can download the forms from the Benefits Administration web page. Remember, Barney & Barney is only processing claims for services rendered in the 2002 plan year.




Security Services "Command Central" Moves to 3366 Torrey Pines Court

Security Officer Chuck Smallwood believes employees acquiring parking permits are more comfortable in Suite 270, 3366 Torrey Pines Court, as the new office provides a waiting area. Photo by Kevin Fung.