J-1 Scholar Visa Status

International Services Office

Scripps Research is an authorized sponsor of J-1 visas as part of the Department of State's Exchange Visitor Program. If you are an incoming international scholar or currently at Scripps Research conducting research, the staff of the International Services Office are here to answer any immigration-related questions you may have. This website is designed to provide general information about immigration sponsorship at Scripps Research, applying for a visa prior to arrival, and maintaining your non-immigrant status during your stay in the U.S.

Eligibility for a particular visa classification is determined by federal regulations. No person(s) at Scripps Research is legally authorized to promise, offer or sign for a visa of any type except the International Services Office staff.

Notice from the U.S. Department of State

U.S. Embassies strongly encourage intending travelers to apply for visa stamps well in advance of their proposed journey, and to always refrain from making irrevocable travel plans until the visa stamp has been issued and they are in receipt of their passport and visa stamp. Visa issuance to certain individuals may be very slow due to security clearances.

J-1 Pre-Arrival Information

J-1 Health Insurance Requirements

Maintaining J-1 Status

A spouse or child under age 21 may apply for a J-2 visa to accompany you to the US.  If a spouse or child under the age of 21 will accompany you, you will be given the opportunity when completing an e-form request to list your dependents, who will then receive immigration documents, along with you, in order to apply for a visa to accompany you to the US.

If you decide to have dependents join you in the US after you have already arrived in the US, or you marry a non-immigrant after arriving in the US, you may submit a separate request for an immigration document for your spouse or child(ren). Please visit the Dependent Visa Information webpage for more information.