Generous Gifts Make Possible the First Norton B. Gilula
Fellowships and 11 Other Merit Awards for TSRI Graduate Students
The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) Office of Graduate
Studies has announced the names of 13 graduate students who
have been selected to receive merit-based fellowships for
the 2001-2002 academic year. These awards include the Norton
B. Gilula Graduate Student Fellowship, which honors the memory
of the late dean of graduate studies and vice president of
scientific affairs, Norton B. Gilula.
"Congratulations to the award winners," says Jeffery Kelly,
dean of graduate studies and vice president of academic affairs,
"and many thanks to the donors of these fellowships. Because
of their generosity, we have the opportunity to recognize
some of the great talent within TSRI's graduate programs."
The Gilula Fellowship, which is primarily supported by contributions
from TSRI's faculty and administration, has been awarded to:
- Nicholas Larsen, fourth-year Macromolecular and Cellular
Structure and Chemistry Graduate Program (MCSC) student;
- Alan Saghatelian, fifth-year Chemistry Graduate Program
The Bauce Fellowship, supported by the William and Sharon
Bauce Family Foundation, has been awarded to:
- Dwight Barnes, third-year MCSC student;
- Kevin Capps, second-year Chemistry student;
- Gordon Wilkie, fifth-year Chemistry student.
The Fairchild Fellowship, supported by a gift from David
and Ursula Fairchild, has been awarded to:
- Ted Foss, second-year MCSC student.
The Jabinson Fellowship, supported the Louis R. Jabinson
Investigatorship Fund created by trusts left to TSRI upon
the death of Marguerite Jabinson, has been awarded to:
- John Blankenship, fifth-year MCSC student;
- Changshou Gao, fourth-year Chemistry student;
- David Gray, fourth-year Chemistry student;
- Mike Hanson, third-year Chemistry student;
- Junjie Liu, fifth-year Chemistry student;
- Jason Schnell, fifth-year MCSC student;
- Junko Tamiya, fifth-year Chemistry student.
The Fletcher Jones Fellowship, supported by a 1993 grant
from The Fletcher Jones Foundation to endow a graduate student
fellowship, has been awarded to:
- Tom Wu, second-year Chemistry student.
The selection criteria for these fellowships are primarily
based on excellence in research as demonstrated by publications
and contributions to the graduate program.
A new fellowship this year honors the memory of TSRI
scientist and administrator Norton B. Gilula.