Scripps Research Logo

Amalio Telenti, M.D., Ph.D.

Professor of Genomics
Department of Integrative Structural and Computational Biology
California Campus
(858) 784-2163

Research Focus

Amalio Telenti works on large scale analysis of human whole genome sequences. He led the analysis of the first 10,000 deep whole genome sequences. His current research focuses on advancing the understanding on the 98% of the human genome that is dedicated to regulation of the remaining 2% (protein coding genome) and to the analysis of the features of human genes essential for life.


M.D., University of Oviedo, Spain, 1982
Ph.D., Microbial Genetics, University of Zaragoza, Spain, 2000

Professional Experience

Amalio Telenti joined The Scripps Research Institutes in November 2017 as professor of genomics in the department of integrative structural and computational biology, and as chief data scientist of the Scripps Translational Science Institute. Previous to these appointments, he was Chief Scientific Officer at Human Longevity La Jolla CA. Prior to joining Human Longevity Inc., Amalio Telenti was faculty of the University of Lausanne, Switzerland where he established a program of host-pathogen genomics. He is member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Center for Integrative Genomics, University of Lausanne, of the Institute Pasteur – Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, and of the Swiss Personalized Health Network. Amalio Telenti graduated from the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Oviedo, Spain, and has a doctorate in microbiology from the University of Zaragoza, Spain. He carried out medical training at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.

Awards & Professional Activities

Elected member of the Swiss Academy of Medical Sciences.
Recipient of the Swiss Cloetta Award for medical research 

Selected References

Selected publications

Telenti A. et al. Deep Sequencing of 10,000 Human Genomes. PNAS 2016 Oct 18; 113(42): 11901–11906. PMC5081584.

Long T. et al. Whole-genome sequencing identifies common to rare variants associated with human blood metabolites. Nature Genetics, 2017 Apr;49(4):568-578.

Tang H. et al. Profiling of Short-Tandem-Repeat Disease Alleles in 12,632 Human Whole Genomes. Am J Hum Genet 2017 Nov 2;101(5):700-715. PMC5673627

Moustafa A. et al. The blood DNA virome in 8,000 humans. PLoS Pathogens 2017 Mar; 13(3): e1006292. PMC5378407

Bartha I. et al. Human gene essentiality. Nature Reviews Genetics, 2018 Jan;19(1):51-62.

di Iulio J. et al. The human noncoding genome defined by genetic diversity Nature Genetics (2018) doi:10.1038/s41588-018-0062-7