Kellogg School Names 15 Fellowship Winners
The Scripps Research Institute's Kellogg School of Science and Technology has announced the graduate students who have won merit fellowships for the 2005-2006 academic year:
- Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS): Joie Garfunkle, John Picuri
- Andrea Elizabeth Vogt Memorial Award: Philippe Dagneau
- Bagel Graduate Student Fellowship: Esther Yee-Ting Chong
- Bauce Family Foundation: Christine Fang, Jason Jens
- Delia Baxter Fellowship: Elizabeth Culyba
- Donald Baxter Fellowship: Ronald Coleman
- Norton B. Gilula Graduate Student Fellowship: Shuibing Chen, Jeffrey Johnson
- Daniel Koshland Fellowship: Paul Krawczuk
- Fletcher Jones Foundation: Amber Murray, Jason Kwok
- Novartis Graduate Fellowship in Organic Chemistry for Minorities and Women: Alina Feldman
- American Chemical Society, Division of Organic Chemistry Graduate Fellowship Sponsored by Roche Pharmaceuticals: Mark Tichenor
Mayfield to Speak in Faculty Lecture Series
Associate Professor Steven Mayfield will speak on "Regulation of chloroplast translation: what we learned on our way to making therapeutic proteins in eukaryotic algae" as part of the Faculty Lecture Series on Wednesday, November 9. The lecture will be held at 5 PM in the Timken Amphitheater, Scripps Clinic, 10666 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla.
Last Chance for Open Enrollment
Human Resources would like to remind all benefit eligible staff that the last week of Open Enrollment is coming up. Changes to your Scripps Research benefit selections and, if eligible, enrollment (or re-enrollment) in the healthcare and/or dependent care spending accounts for the 2006 Plan Year can be made up until 5 PM on Friday, November 11. Instructions on how to access the online system were mailed to participant homes. Kiosks are available in Human Resources for employees who DO NOT have computer access. Participants with questions regarding Open Enrollment should contact Human Resources at the Benefits Line, x4-8487. For more information, including a link to the online enrollment site and a schedule of events, see the Open Enrollment web pages.
Lunch and Learn: "The Seven Habits of Highly Creative People"
Award-winning author Lee Silber will present "The Seven Habits of Highly Creative People" as part of the ongoing Lunch & Learn seminar series on Wednesday, November 9, from noon to 1 PM. This interactive seminar will focus on teaching participants how to do more with less, shine under pressure, and apply creative thinking to all areas of life. The workshop, arranged by Counseling & Postdoctoral Services, will be in the W.M. Keck Amphitheater, The Beckman Center for Chemical Sciences. No reservations necessary. Feel free to bring your lunch to the talk.
Library Tip: Track your Journal Article Requests Using ILLiad
ILLiad is the Kresge Library's web-based interlibrary loan service. Use ILLiad to request materials not available at the Kresge Library, including journal articles, book chapters, books and conference proceedings. Use your ILLiad username to check the status of active requests and to view filled requests. Delivery times can vary from 24 to 48 hours for articles available electronically to 7 to 10 days for hard-to-find items or those sent by mail from other libraries. Rush requests can be made for an additional fee upon provision of a lab charge number. For more information, contact the Kresge Library Help Desk, x4-8705 or email@example.com.
Send comments to: mikaono[at]scripps.edu