Scripps Research Logo

International Services Office

Student Visa Status

F-1 Student Visa Status

F-1 is the most commonly used visa status by students who come to the U.S. to pursue an academic degree. If you are not already in the U.S. in J-1 status or you do not meet the criteria for J-1 student status, you must apply for F-1 visa status. Unlike some students in J-1 status, F-1 status students are not subject to the “two year home residence requirement”. Please note that F-2 dependents that accompany the F-1 student are not allowed to work in the U.S. under any circumstances and may not study in a program that leads to a degree or certificate.

J-1 Student Visa Status

The J-1 student category is available only to select students based upon funding sources that are government based or from educationally affiliated sponsors. The International Services Office reviews applications and determines the appropriate visa category.

Dependents of J-1 students obtain J-2 visa status and may apply for work authorization to be employed while in the U.S.  Applications can take 90 days or longer to be approved. 

Certain J-1 students may be subject to the “two year home residence requirement” of the J-1 exchange visitor program. If subject, the J-1 student and any J-2 dependents may not apply to change non-immigrant status while in the U.S. or file for an H, L or Permanent Residency until they have returned to their home country for two years or received a waiver of the requirement. Please be sure to consult with the International Services Office before you apply for a waiver of this requirement.