Scripps Research Logo

International Services Office

Change of Non-Immigrant Visa Status

In some circumstances, foreign nationals may need to change non-immigrant visa status, (i.e. from F-1 OPT to J-1, or from J-1 to H-1B). The host lab should complete the appropriate visa request forms in VIVA and consult the International Services Office. Change of status (COS) applications can take four months or longer.  Some COS applications may involve exiting the U.S., applying for a new visa stamp, and re-entering the U.S. in the new visa status.