Scripps Research Logo

Student Visa Status Information


An international student is a non-immigrant pursuing a full course of study to achieve a specific educational objective at an academic institution. International students come to the U.S. to study in either F-1 or J-1 status.

F-1 and J-1 Student Visa Overview
Visa Documents & Definitions
Family & Dependents

SURF Program Information for International Students

Getting a Visa
Step One: Obtaining a Visa Document for New TSRI Graduate Students
Step Two: Applying for a Student visa at a U.S. Consulate Abroad

Once You Are in the U.S.
Check-in & Maintenance of Non-Immigrant Status once in the U.S.

Extension of Stay
Student Employment Options
For Students on F-1 OPT
Postdoctoral Visa Guidelines