Scripps Research Logo

International Services Office


Dependents of J-1 Exchange Visitors: Scholars who wish to bring their legally married spouse and/or unmarried minor children (under 21) to the U.S. in J-2 status will need to obtain a DS-2019 form and a J-2 visa stamp for each family member. While it is recommended, but not required, that family members apply for the visa stamps together, dependents can travel to the U.S. with or without the J-1 exchange visitor. Current J-1 scholars who want their spouse and/or children to join them can request DS-2019 forms for their dependents by completing a Request to Bring J-2 Dependents to the U.S.  Individuals in J-2 visa status can apply for work authorization from the USCIS or may study provided it is not the primary reason for being in the U.S.

Dependents of H-1B Workers: The spouse and unmarried dependent children of H-1B workers may obtain H-4 visa status. To obtain H-4 visa status, dependents should have the a copy of the H-1B I-797 approval notice and proof of their relationship to the H-1B when applying for the visa stamp at the US Embassy or Consulate and at the port of entry when entering the U.S.