Scripps California Building Initiative
The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) has received $12.8 million from philanthropist and businessman Samuel Yin and $12.5 million from an anonymous donor to anchor the construction funding for a new building complex on the institute’s La Jolla campus.
The planned facilities will provide The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) with:
- Two two-story state-of-the-art laboratory buildings with 147,000 square feet of space for advanced biomedical research on the institute’s California campus
- A four-level parking structure with a capacity of 715 vehicles (in addition to subterranean parking under the laboratory buildings)
- Construction to green building certification standards set by the Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED)
The new facilities will be built on TSRI’s La Jolla campus at the prominent corner of John Jay Hopkins Drive and Genesee Avenue. This high profile location is adjacent to TSRI’s electron microscopy suite, nationally ranked graduate offices and the acoustically and architecturally renowned auditorium and plaza.
- Providing state-of-the-art laboratories for TSRI’s biomedical research, which advances innovative treatments for conditions from Alzheimer’s to stroke
- Creating a consolidated campus that enhances synergy and collaboration among scientists
- Total costs for the buildings are estimated at $130 million
- $30 million will be raised in private philanthropy
- Initiative was kicked off with a generous $12.5 million anonymous challenge grant
- Philanthropist and businessman Samuel Yin met and exceeded the challenge with a gift of $12.8 million
- Naming opportunities are available for buildings, labs, conference rooms and public spaces throughout new campus
- Completed: Initial development plans drawn and permits submitted
- 2015: Detailed architectural and construction planning
- 2017 Q2: Parking structure construction begins
- 2018 Q1: Laboratory building construction begins
- 2019 Q2: All facilities complete and ready for occupancy
To give to TSRI’s building campaign or to learn more, please contact Cara Miller at (858) 784-8846 or firstname.lastname@example.org.