Sauer Lab Hosts Donor Visit
Associate Professor Karsten Sauer recently hosted a visit by Daniel Wu, the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's (LLS) Orange County Chapter "Man of the Year." A blood cancer research advocate, Wu's award allows his fundraising efforts to directly benefit Sauer's lab research on chronic myeloid leukemia (CML). Wu's wife, Anita, passed away in 2010 from complications of CML.
Wu and Piper Medcalf, LLS Orange County chapter executive director, spent a full day at the Sauer lab, meeting researchers, learning about their work, even donning lab coats and latex gloves to lend research associate Claire Conche a hand with some experiments.
Sauer himself is a 2010 recipient of a Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Scholar Award and was recently elected into the board of trustees of its San Diego/Hawaii chapter. His lab's investigations aim to advance understanding of CML and may lead to potential new therapies.
CA Campus Research Symposium Winners Announced
The Scripps Research Society of Fellows (SOF) sponsored cash prizes for the top oral and poster presentations at the Fall Research Symposium, which attracted a few hundred scientists from around the California campus on September 21.
One presenter—Kaumudi Joshi—was selected by the SOF committee to receive the Jared Purton Memorial Award. This annual award recognizes an outstanding oral presentation at the research symposium with an extra cash allotment and matching donation to the Jared F. Purton Foundation.
Additional winners were selected by faculty judges (oral presentations) and symposium attendees (posters).
- Immunology and Microbial Science: John Scatizzi (first place), Yi Ting Koh (second place), John Hoerter (third place)
- Chemistry and Structural Biology: Nabanita De (first place), Abhishek Chatterjee (second place), Rebecca Taurog (third place)
- Cell and Molecular Biology: Kaumudi Joshi (first place), Yoshitake Cho (second place); Radhika Gopal (third place)
- Experimental Medicine, Neurosciences, and Translational Research: Julien Courchet (first place), Jinyun Yuan (second place), Lin-Chien Huang (third place)
- Chemistry and Structural Biology: Pick-Wei Lau, Julia Viladoms Claverol
- Immunology and Microbial Science: Shailendra Kumar Sharma, Viktoriya Dubrovskaya
- Cell & Molecular Biology: Prem Sinha, Cecile Charrier
- Experimental Medicine, Neurosciences, and Translational Research: Candice Contet, Marian Logrip
Send comments to: mikaono[at]scripps.edu
Blood cancer research advocate Daniel Wu (left) recently assisted in a few experiments with research associate Claire Conche during a visit to the Sauer lab. The lab benefits from Wu's fundraising efforts for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Orange County Chapter, which recently named Wu its "Man of the Year."
During a lunch reception, visitors to the Scripps California Fall Research Symposium poster session examined more than 30 posters submitted in the event's four focus areas. Held during the National Postdoctoral Appreciation Week, symposium activities also included keynote speakers, oral presentations, and presentation of the first Outstanding Mentor Award. (Photo by Cindy Brauer.)