Fireside Alumni Chat: Lucy Stark, Litigation Associate
Lucy M. Stark, litigation associate in the Los Angeles office of Irell & Manella LLP and Scripps Research Kellogg School alumna, will participate in the new "Fireside Alumni Chat Series" on Monday, March 15, from 4 to 5 PM. The series is designed to give graduate students and postdocs an opportunity to converse with former Scripps Research students in a casual setting, network, and learn about specific career options. The event, sponsored by the Career and Postdoctoral Services Office and the Network for Women in Science, will be held in the Faculty Club. RSVP is required: http://hris.scripps.edu/training/.
Learn How to Use the New Calendar System
The Calendar Office is in the final stages of preparing to launch the new online room reservation system with plans to switch completely over to the new program in late March.
As part of that process, there will be two levels of training offered:
- An overview of the new system
- Hands-on training and assistance to convert existing reservations to the new format.
To sign up for the overview class please go to this URL: http://hris.scripps.edu/training/class/CAL0110CAL
For hands-on training and for assistance transferring your existing reservations to the new system, several "open houses" will be held in IT training room with calendar staff. There is no need to sign up for the hands-on portion. IT Open House
trainings are listed below. Additional open houses will be added next week.
- March 4: 11:30 AM - 5 PM
- March 5: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- March 10: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- March 11: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- March 12: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Highlights of the new system include that you can:
- Use the calendar on a Mac, PC, or other platform
- Connect to the calendar using numerous browsers, including Explorer, Safari, Firefox, etc.
- Access the system from any computer on campus (or via VPN connection from an off-campus computer) using an existing Scripps Research email ID and password
- View a schedule of both California and Florida events, listed according to their local time zones
- Choose to view a particular kind of event—for example those affiliated with the graduate program, appearing on the holiday schedule, labeled as a lab meeting, sponsored by ScrippsAssists, held on the Florida campus, etc.—using a pull-down menu
- Set up email notifications and reminders
- Attach syllabi, CVs, and other material if desired when scheduling an event
- Download events to other calendar systems, for example Microsoft Outlook, iCal, and Palm OS personal digital assistants.
For more information, contact:
La Jolla Shipping and Receiving Dock Relocation March 1
Scripps Research leases the current loading dock from Scripps Health. Since the lease expires next month, the institute has entered into an agreement with VWR Catalyst to outsource almost all shipping and receiving operations at a new off-site location in Sorrento Valley. (VWR Catalyst has provided services at our current loading dock since December 1, 2009, and will move operations to the new location by the end of February.) Procurement is committed to maintaining existing pick-up and delivery schedules and is working through any other issues to minimize any inconvenience or delays. Please let Procurement know if you encounter any difficulties so they can be corrected at once.
NEW DELIVERY (SHIP-TO) ADDRESS
Effective March 1, 2010, the La Jolla campus delivery location address (now 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037) will be:
The Scripps Research Institute
4122 Sorrento Valley Blvd. STE 107
San Diego, CA 92121
Please note this will not affect your current mailing address for letters, publications, and subscriptions. The new ship-to address is only for shipping and receiving deliveries.
SHIPPING AND RECEIVING CONTACT INFORMATION
The new phone number (858) 202-1359 will be effective by March 1st. The current internal extensions x4-8714 and x4-8716 will be forwarded for 90 days.
- Jamal Gibbs, onsite manager of Shipping & Receiving Operations, email@example.com or 858-202-1523
- Dave Kastner, firstname.lastname@example.org or (858) 202-1716
- Steve Johnson, email@example.com or (858) 202-0148
- Inquiries of a general nature should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails to this address are directed to multiple individuals to ensure a timely response to the requestor.
Please continue to use the Return Tracking System (RTS) for outbound shipments. The electronic form can be accessed through: http://rts.fl.ad.scripps.edu/index.php or through SciQuest. Paper requests for pick-ups will no longer be honored after March 1.
Procurement and Accounts Payable have notified all suppliers of the changes to the ship-to addresses. A copy of the letter sent to suppliers can be found at: www.scripps.edu/services/procurement/sr_DockMoveLetter.pdf.
Current FedEx pick-up locations will remain the same. For further information regarding the move and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), go to the Procurement Home page at:
If you have any questions or comments, please contact June Lombardi, director of Procurement, at email@example.com or x4-8053, or Sandy Dierdorff, associate director of Procurement, at firstname.lastname@example.org or x4-9717.
Send comments to: mikaono[at]scripps.edu