Fireside Alumni Chat: Lucy Stark, Litigation Associate
Lucy M. Stark, litigation associate in the Los Angeles office of Irell & Manella LLP and Scripps Research Kellogg School alumna, will participate in the new "Fireside Alumni Chat Series" on Monday, March 15, from 4 to 5 PM. The series is designed to give graduate students and postdocs an opportunity to converse with former Scripps Research students in a casual setting, network, and learn about specific career options. The event, sponsored by the Career and Postdoctoral Services Office and the Network for Women in Science, will be held in the Faculty Club. RSVP is required: http://hris.scripps.edu/training/.
La Jolla Shipping and Receiving Dock Relocation March 1
Scripps Research leases the current loading dock from Scripps Health. Since the lease expires next month and Scripps Health will not agree to an extension of our agreement, the institute has entered into an agreement with VWR Catalyst to outsource almost all shipping and receiving operations at a new off-site location in Sorrento Valley. (VWR Catalyst has provided services at our current loading dock since December 1, 2009, and will move operations to the new location by the end of February.) Procurement is committed to maintaining existing pick-up and delivery schedules and is working through any other issues to minimize any inconvenience or delays. Please let Procurement know if you encounter any difficulties so they can be corrected at once.
NEW DELIVERY (SHIP-TO) ADDRESS
Effective March 1, 2010, the La Jolla campus delivery location address (now 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037) will be:
The Scripps Research Institute
4122 Sorrento Valley Blvd. STE 107
San Diego, CA 92121
Please note this will not affect your current mailing address for letters, publications, and subscriptions. The new ship-to address is only for shipping and receiving deliveries.
SHIPPING AND RECEIVING CONTACT INFORMATION
The new phone number (858) 202-1359 will be effective by March 1st. The current internal extensions x4-8714 and x4-8716 will be forwarded for 90 days.
- Jamal Gibbs, onsite manager of Shipping & Receiving Operations, email@example.com or 858-202-1523
- Dave Kastner, firstname.lastname@example.org or (858) 202-1716
- Steve Johnson, email@example.com or (858) 202-0148
- Inquiries of a general nature should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails to this address are directed to multiple individuals to ensure a timely response to the requestor.
Please continue to use the Return Tracking System (RTS) for outbound shipments. The electronic form can be accessed through: http://rts.fl.ad.scripps.edu/index.php or through SciQuest. Paper requests for pick-ups will no longer be honored after March 1.
Procurement and Accounts Payable have notified all suppliers of the changes to the ship-to addresses. A copy of the letter sent to suppliers can be found at: www.scripps.edu/services/procurement/sr_DockMoveLetter.pdf.
Current FedEx pick-up locations will remain the same. For further information regarding the move and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), go to the Procurement Home page at: http://www.scripps.edu/services/procurement/
If you have any questions or comments, please contact June Lombardi, director of Procurement, at email@example.com or x4-8053, or Sandy Dierdorff, associate director of Procurement, at firstname.lastname@example.org or x4-9717.
Help Support Cancer Research During Daffodil Days
The ScrippsAssists employee volunteer club invites you to support the American Cancer Society's Daffodil Days 2010.
Daffodil Days—which presents a unique opportunity to enjoy beautiful, fresh flowers while making an impact on the lives of local cancer patients and their families—is one of the American Cancer Society's largest fundraisers of the year. Money goes toward cancer research and education in California, early detection efforts, advocacy, and patient services.
"We have seven researchers at Scripps Research currently receiving American Cancer Society funds," notes Leslie Madden, a senior administrative assistant in the Molecular Biology Department who organizes the annual campaign.
Sales have started and will run until Tuesday, February 23, with the expected delivery date of the flowers of Wednesday, March 24. New this year is a Bear of Hope donation ($25 minimum) that will enable stuffed bears to be distributed to local cancer patients. Other items include:
- Bouquet of 10 daffodils (no vase), $10
- "Sunshine," 10 daffodils with a teal-colored vase, $20
- "Vision," 20 daffodils in a clear glass vase, $35
- Bear and a Bunch, 10 daffodils and a 10-inch Boyd's teddy bear named "Birthday's R. Hope," $25
- Gift of Hope donation, $25 or other amount. American Cancer Society representatives use this donation to anonymously deliver bouquets of daffodils to cancer patients in hospitals, medical centers, and doctor's offices. (Please note: bouquets are not delivered to specific patients, nor are donor's names attached to the gifts.) Gift of Hope donations also fund cancer research, education, local patient services and advocacy efforts.
Please make checks payable to the "American Cancer Society."
The following volunteers are available to take your orders:
- Jenny Miller, 3301 Torrey Pines Court, reception, x4-8379, email@example.com, or TPC-12
- Jan Tuomainen, Human Resources, x4-8825, firstname.lastname@example.org, or TPC-7
- Leslie Madden, Molecular Biology, 101, x 4-2881, email@example.com, or MB-3
- Rebecca Nedellec, Immunology, 316, x4-9933, firstname.lastname@example.org, or IMM-7
- Joan Lord, Stein, 108, x4-2155, email@example.com, or SBR-10
- Kathy Spencer, ICND, 208, x4-8437, firstname.lastname@example.org, or ICND-210
- Lisa Cairncross, Carr B/Cim Bio, 256C, x4-7052, email@example.com, or CB-256D
- Pam Cryer, SP 3030, 1150, x4-2807, firstname.lastname@example.org, SP30-1150
- Alicia Uncangco, MEM, 116, x4-7907, email@example.com, or MEM-116
For details and pictures of the products, see http://www.scripps.edu/~lmadden/daffodil/Daffodil_Days_2010.pdf. For additional information, contact Madden, x4-2881 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
SOS Toastmasters Hosts Open House and Speech-a-Thon
The Scripps Outstanding Speakers (SOS) group of Toastmasters is hosting an open house and speech-a-thon on Friday, February 26, from 6:30 to 9 PM. The group invites all SOS members to participate in the event and to sign up as Speakers, Evaluators, or Table Topic Masters. The group also warmly welcomes non-members as guests. The event, which includes pizza, will be held in the CIMBio large conference room. RSVP to Kathy Sterling, email@example.com or (858) 337-5410. For more information on the event, see http://sostoastmasters.wordpress.com/
Send comments to: mikaono[at]scripps.edu